Ibstock set out sustainability targets for next five years
Sustainability Roadmap 2025 sets out main priorities for the business in four core objective areas
IBSTOCK plc have published their Sustainability Report 2018, which sets out the Group’s sustainability priorities for the next five years.
At the heart of the report is the introduction of the Group’s Sustainability Roadmap 2025. This communicates clear targets for the business, each of which falls under four core objective areas: Customers and Suppliers; People; Environment; and Communities.
Ibstock say the ambitions set out in the roadmap are intended to drive the Group’s operations and deliver positive impacts for people, the planet and society.
Key environmental targets to 2025 include:
- Zero waste to landfill
- 5% reduction in mains water use per tonne of production
- 10% increase in sales of sustainable solutions
- 15% reduction in CO2 per tonne of production.
Some of the successful projects carried out during the reporting period include:
- Commissioning of Ibstock Brick’s new Eclipse factory and a new kiln at Lodge Lane
- 100% of Forticrete process waste recycled with none sent to landfill
- Full and partial upgrades to LED technology at 10 factories, delivering up to 65% savings compared with traditional lighting technologies
- Installation of electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure at four sites
- 62% of water used in production came from non-mains sources such as recycled water, boreholes and quarries.
Looking to the future, Ibstock say they have plans to install solar panels at their head office as well as a rolling programme to upgrade all of their sites to LED lighting technologies by the end of 2020.
Joe Hudson, chief executive officer of Ibstock plc, commented: ‘Delivering sustainable performance across the Group is a key priority for us. Over the last 12 months, we have been recognized and rewarded for the fantastic, positive work we are doing to make our business and our products more sustainable. We are now moving into the next stage in our sustainability journey.
‘As such, our Sustainability Roadmap 2025 will drive much of our effort and innovation over the next five years. Our sustainability ambitions will be achieved by putting people and performance at the heart of our company.
‘Together with targeted investment in operational excellence and our focus on market-led innovation, we will achieve our goals. Our sustainability priorities and ambitions will drive the performance of our operations to deliver positive impacts for our people, our planet and society.’
Mark Brind, group continuous improvement and sustainability director, added: ‘Our Sustainability Roadmap to 2025 presents a clear pathway towards greater sustainability across the business. With these targets, we can clearly communicate our ambitions and encourage the involvement and engagement of all of our stakeholders.’
A copy of Ibstock plc’s Sustainability Report 2018 can be downloaded below.