EP10 - Emergency Preparedness And Control
What is this?
The purpose of this document is to outline potential accident and emergency situations which may occur, and to identify the procedures to be taken to prevent and mitigate their impact on the environment. A PDF of the procedure is available to download (see attached), please use it in conjunction with the associated documentation mentioned below.
What does the responsible manager need to do?
The responsible manager must ensure that:
- Suitable and sufficient risk assessments are undertaken on all activities to identify significant hazards which could cause emergency situations to arise
- Emergency procedures are prepared for each potential situation, and reviewed whenever circumstances change or at least annually
- All company employees are provided with information and training so they fully understand the emergency procedures
- The emergency procedures are clearly displayed (and maintained) at various locations (on all company sites)
- Annual emergency drills are carried out on nominated procedures
- Emergency drills are recorded on the emergency drill record sheet and on each participating employee’s training record form
- All emergency equipment such as spill kits, fire extinguishers and first-aid kits are regularly inspected and maintained
- All emergency equipment that has been used is inspected, replaced or replenished immediately
- Any equipment which has been deemed inadequate is taken out of use and recorded on a non-conformance record form and circulated to appropriate personnel for corrective action
- The managing director is informed immediately of any emergency situation.
What do employees have to do?
All employees must ensure that:
- They report any emergency situation immediately
- They familiarise themselves with all emergency procedures on-site
- They notify the responsible manager of any emergency equipment which has been used/needs replacing/replenishing.
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Emergency Procedures
- EF05 – Emergency Drill Record
- EF06 – Training Record
- EF07 – Non-Conformance Record (NCR)
This workplace procedure forms part of an Environmental Management System (EMS) that enables all personnel working for the company, whether directly or indirectly, to carry out their duties in a manner which will preserve the environment around them and ensure that the policy statement of the company is adhered to. The procedures can be viewed here.