EP01 - Designation Of Environmental Responsibilities
What is this?
This is a written procedure that outlines how to designate environmental responsibilities within the company. A PDF of the procedure is available to download (see attached), please use it in conjunction with the associated documentation mentioned below.
What does the managing director need to do?
The managing director needs to appoint a representative to manage and continually improve all aspects of the company’s environmental performance including the implementation of the EMS. This appointee is specified within the company’s organisation structure illustrated in the EMS document.
What does the responsible manager need to do?
The responsible manager (appointed representative) must ensure that:
- The EMS requirements are established, implemented and maintained in accordance with legislation, company standards and the EMS manual
- They report on the performance of the EMS to company directors
- There are suitable managers and supervisors in post to allow the delegation of certain environmental responsibilities, as agreed with the managing director in accordance with the procedure for the provision, monitoring and review of resources
- Any delegated responsibilities must be approved by the delegator’s line manager (in this case, the managing director)
- Any delegated responsibilities are integrated into the appropriate employees’ job descriptions
- All employees are made aware/reminded of their responsibilities as part of their induction and as part of annual performance reviews, and a formal record made.
What do employees have to do?
All employees must ensure that:
- They fulfil their environmental responsibilities as stated within their job descriptions or as instructed
- All relevant inspection sheets are correctly completed and returned to the responsible manager, on time
- They report any issues, incidents or concerns to an appropriate manager/supervisor within an appropriate timescale.
- Environmental Management Structure
- Environmental Management Programme
- Structure, Responsibilities and Resources
- EP12 – Provision, Monitoring and Review of Resources
This workplace procedure forms part of an Environmental Management System (EMS) that enables all personnel working for the company, whether directly or indirectly, to carry out their duties in a manner which will preserve the environment around them and ensure that the policy statement of the company is adhered to. The procedures can be viewed here.