MPA launches 2022 Health and Safety Awards
Entries welcomed from Mineral Products Association members and those working closely with them
THE Mineral Products Association (MPA) is calling for entries to the 2022 Health and Safety Awards, which are launched today [3 March]. Entries are welcomed from MPA members and those working closely with them. Watch the video to find out more.
Organizations working within the supply chain of the mineral products industry are encouraged to submit an entry to one or more of the 8 Topic Awards. Introduced last year, the 8 Topics Awards have been designed to cover the different stages and activities within the lifecycle of the value-added products and services provided by the mineral products industry: from the quarry face, processing, and manufacturing through to delivery at the customer’s site, a construction site, or on highway.
The simple to complete entry forms and briefing notes can be downloaded from the Safequarry website.
The new categories build on the success of the long-established and highly acclaimed MPA Health and Safety Awards. Over the years, they have played a pivotal role in preventing serious injuries and fatalities within the mineral products industry. The awards enable the industry to learn about and share the innovations and good practice that improve health, safety, and well-being in the workplace. Many of the entries highlighted in the awards from previous years have now been widely adopted across the mineral products industry.
MPA chief executive Nigel Jackson said: ‘Over the last two years, we have updated the Health and Safety Award Scheme to make it easier for companies to submit their entries and encourage even greater participation.
‘The sharing of knowledge about the good practices and innovations will help us all to make our industry a safer and healthier place for everyone. It is also important to recognize the outstanding performance that individuals and organizations have made on our journey towards ‘Vision Zero’.
‘I would urge you to share your achievements in health and safety by entering the awards – we are all Safer by Sharing’.’
The awards include the following categories:
- 8 Topic Awards – recognizing health and safety innovations at different stages of activity within the production and distribution of mineral products – Open to all.
- ‘The Fatal 6’ Award – recognizing an exceptional innovation or good practice to eliminate a high-consequence hazard associated with ‘The Fatal 6’ by an MPA member.
- The Eurobitume Award – recognizing an exceptional innovation or good practice involving bitumen/asphalt or contract surfacing by an MPA member.
- John Crabbe Award – for an MPA member with more than 250 employees which has achieved an outstanding performance in health and safety.
- Sir Frank Davies Award – for an MPA member with 250 or fewer employees which has achieved an outstanding performance in health and safety.
- Young Leader Award – for an MPA member wanting to recognize the leadership or outstanding contribution shown by an individual(s) aged under 30, in driving forward changes in their organization to make it a safer and healthier place to work.
- Individual Awards – for an MPA member wanting to recognize the contribution made by an individual(s) in making their organization a safer and healthier place to work.