EP11 - Training Personnel
What is this?
This is a written procedure that outlines what is required to assess the competence of staff, identify the training requirements and undertake training for all staff on relevant environmental topics. The procedure includes the induction of all new employees, continual workplace training and any other training that is deemed necessary to ensure knowledge levels are sustained.
A PDF of the procedure is available to download (see attached), please use it in conjunction with the associated documentation mentioned below.
What does the managing director have to do?
It is the responsibility of the managing director to ensure that adequate resources are provided to enable the company to carry out their environmental duties to a satisfactory level to sustain the EMS.
What does the responsible manager have to do?
The responsible manager will:
- Ensure that any specific environmental responsibilities are defined within the employee’s job description
- Identify the training needs for all employees by completing a training matrix
- Transfer the information from the matrix onto an environmental training plan
- Ensure that dates are planned to deliver the environmental training
- Repeat this process annually
- Provide new starters with an induction which will cover the environmental arrangements of the business
- Keep records of all persons attending training courses (including induction training) and store them within the company filing system.
What do employees have to do?
All employees must:
- Ensure they only undertake tasks they are competent to perform
- Co-operate with the responsible manager, other managers and supervisors to ensure their environmental responsibilities are complied with
- Report any environmental incidents to the responsible manager.
This workplace procedure forms part of an Environmental Management System (EMS) that enables all personnel working for the company, whether directly or indirectly, to carry out their duties in a manner which will preserve the environment around them and ensure that the policy statement of the company is adhered to. The procedures can be viewed here.