Operations and Production Manager - Leeds, West Yorkshire
Sorry, applications for this position have now closed.
We have a rare opportunity for an experienced Operations and Production Manager to join Calder Masonry Ltd, Leeds, West Yorkshire. As an ambassador for the business you will be accountable for driving success and best practice across the site. This is a vital role in managing day-to-day factory and quarry operations, that will include developing and introducing policies and procedures to continually improve productivity. This role is tasked with ensuring that all parts of the extraction and production processes align to deliver an efficient supply chain that delivers high-quality product on time.
This role involves working closely with the Managing Director and the Sales team, with overall responsibility for managing all aspects of production to ensure supply deadlines are met.
The successful applicant will be expected to motivate existing staff and assist in creating a working environment which encourages teamwork and a commitment to continuous improvement and quality. To achieve this, the person will need a solid background in managing and improving manufacturing processes, proven leadership and problem-solving skills together with good communications skills. This is an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated and results focused leader who is looking to showcase their ability to drive top-line growth and continuous improvement.
Responsibilities of the Operations & Production Manager
- Ensure Health and Safety legislation, policies and procedures are adhered to
- Liaising with external Geotechnical consultants regarding the quarry development
- Overall responsibility for quality control and production standards
- Working closely with the Managing Director to identify and agree priorities and specific responsibility for specific tasks
- Manage day to day quarry and factory operations while continually improving production processes and management systems. This will include monitoring and managing the production output.
- Working with the Sales team on production planning to ensure the business is adequately resourced and production deadlines are met
- Identifying any skills gaps in the organisation and implementing training and/or recruitment programs to address this. This will involve objectively assessing on an ongoing basis the individual performance of all production staff.
- Providing a leadership support function to teams and motivating staff to achieve production goals.
- Act as the primary liaison between Directors/senior management to keep them up to date with quarry and shop floor operational matters.
- Ensuring key performance indicators are in place and production targets are met.
- Implementation of any new policies and procedures relating to the production process.
- Working with the Managing Director to plan and manage installation of new machinery and changes to factory layout.
- Plan and review individual workloads and manpower requirements to ensure targets are being met on a cost-effective basis
- Organise and perform training sessions as required
Key Skills of the Operations & Production Manager
- Leadership – leading teams from different departments to achieve organisational goals.
- Communication – ensuring that communication is ongoing and effective between different departments.
- Presentation – presenting ideas and results to different stakeholders across the business including staff and senior management.
- Team working – fostering an environment of teamwork to ensure that all products are delivered on time and company goals are met.
- Initiative – the ability to work alone and take a lead when hurdles arise or when tasks require completion.
- Planning - staying ahead of the game and ensuring that plans for the future are clearly set out for everyone to follow.
- Problem Solving – adapting to the ever-changing environment and reacting quickly to meet challenges.
- Experienced in an operational management position within the stone or similar industry
- Hold the 8 (1)(c ) appointment as required by the Quarry Regulations (would be an advantage but training and support to gain this can be provided)
- Detailed knowledge and experience of manufacturing processes and continuous improvement methodology
- Familiarity with business and financial principles
- Leadership and supervisory ability
- Highly organised
- Production and planning skills
- Ability to manage time and workload effectively
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Experience in negotiating and working with suppliers
- Ability to work both individually and in a team environment
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to engage and motivate others
- Be able to multitask
- Be able to use computer applications effectively
- Have comprehensive knowledge of quality assurance principles
- Have good interpersonal skills
- Be cordial and professional
- Be innovative
- Good judgement and decision-making skills
- Be 'internally' motivated with a natural desire to achieve results
Why join Calder Masonry
A successful company currently enjoying a fantastic period of growth. Calder Masonry have sole rights to a premium Yorkshire sandstone which is in high demand and specified on many projects throughout the UK and Ireland. We employ highly talented, experienced and motivated people with long-term vision, our staff are our biggest asset. We are committed to developing a strong and positive relationship with the communities we live and work in.
What's on offer
- A competitive salary package will be offered
- Enhanced holiday entitlement
- Training and development opportunities
- An inclusive and safety focused culture with people at the heart of the business